My last narration(for now) in this series is "Ganga". If I remember my first association as a kid with "Ganga" of course the river Ganga was the sacred water in sealed copper pots that were usually kept along with other idols of worship, which we were not supposed to touch. I was very much attracted to the beauty of those pots which were periodically cleaned and beautified by my grandma. Then my second association was with the story my grandfather had told me about "Bhagiratha", a king who undertook rigorous penance to get river Ganga from heaven, how he also persuaded Lord Shiva to receive Ganga in the coils of his tangled hair to break her turbulent force which otherwise would have caused destruction on the Earth. Of course, famous photo of painting of Ravi varma depicting the Ganga's descend to Himalayas from Lord Shiva's locks which many of us would have seen in our childhood. Next geographical details comes from school where we studied approximately 2,500km river rising at Gangotri in western Himalayas in the state of Uttarakhand(now) flowing in the South-East direction. On the way many rivers join Ganga, providing life to millions on its way, flows towards Bangladesh to finally join Bay of Bengal. Historically many capitals of the provinces like Pataliputra, Kashi, Allahabad, Kolkata, etc and many pilgrimages are on the banks of Ganga. It is a most sacred river to Hindus and they worship goddess Ganga.
It amazed me to see so many people go all the way to Haridwar, Varanasi to take a holy dip in holy Ganga. For many its one of the major milestones in their life. Many times, I heard from people how important for them is Ganga arti, countless number of movies showing that. I could understand this emotion as we have the same emotion for 'Ganga of South India - Kaveri'. When I learnt that what kind of impact some writers/lyricists like Anjaan had and so many songs/poems they wrote on Ganga just to salute her, pay tributes.. But, what I heard from my father was a different story - river is so polluted that its just a ritual to take dip in Ganga. Though he always mentioned - 'when I went first time to Varanasi before my marriage, it was heaven to live there and take bath in Ganga'. I decided instantly, even if I go to Varanasi I would never take any dip in Ganga. I wondered how such a holy river that we worship, do arti everyday, have such prominence could get polluted, dirtied??
Couple years ago, I went with my parents for chardham. They had already done teen dham except Kedarnath. In their last trips, twice they had been unlucky as each time situation din't permit them to go all the way up. This time they somehow wanted to do it and I accompanied them to take care of them. We went to Varanasi. I'd already decided not to take a dip in the river, I was all the more determined after I visited Allahabad(now pryagraj - on my list again to visit) - triveni sangam. We stayed at a Kannada speaking purohit's place to carry out the rituals which people usually do in Kashi. One of the helpers there took us to Ganga ghat to take bath. Since I'd decided earlier not take bath there, I din't carry change clothes. It was ten minutes walk and we reached ghat. Place looked clean and our guide had already instructed us not to use soaps. I touched water for first time and felt like taking a dip...water was clean so was the place...my liking from taking dip, grew to taking bath. I walked back to get my clothes. Touch of that water was different, magical, full of energy..It puzzled me if I was just carried away by my fellow travelers' views or it was what really I felt...Finally, I'd to trust what govt claimed about 'Namami Gange'! and my father's comment that - 'see our Modi has cleaned it up so that you can take a dip' ;-) After that we went to Haridwar and that was the first time I felt Ganga as a river; flowing...I just kept seeing her..vast river? deep water? majesty? such powerful force in motion? life line of millions? a shakti taking everything in her stride yet flowing ahead? Dignity, Elegance, Agility - personified? 'Ganga ma'...just stood there looking at her with tears...uncontrollable tears ...don't know how long I cried...I just couldn't stop..my hands shivering..could neither speak nor smile or talk..Evening Ganga aarti dint amaze me much, I understood how people there felt...even now while typing this, I am trying to control my tears...she followed us throughout our trip..she is just flowing in front of my eyes...touching lives - millions, trillions..."Ganga ma 🙏"
It amazed me to see so many people go all the way to Haridwar, Varanasi to take a holy dip in holy Ganga. For many its one of the major milestones in their life. Many times, I heard from people how important for them is Ganga arti, countless number of movies showing that. I could understand this emotion as we have the same emotion for 'Ganga of South India - Kaveri'. When I learnt that what kind of impact some writers/lyricists like Anjaan had and so many songs/poems they wrote on Ganga just to salute her, pay tributes.. But, what I heard from my father was a different story - river is so polluted that its just a ritual to take dip in Ganga. Though he always mentioned - 'when I went first time to Varanasi before my marriage, it was heaven to live there and take bath in Ganga'. I decided instantly, even if I go to Varanasi I would never take any dip in Ganga. I wondered how such a holy river that we worship, do arti everyday, have such prominence could get polluted, dirtied??
Couple years ago, I went with my parents for chardham. They had already done teen dham except Kedarnath. In their last trips, twice they had been unlucky as each time situation din't permit them to go all the way up. This time they somehow wanted to do it and I accompanied them to take care of them. We went to Varanasi. I'd already decided not to take a dip in the river, I was all the more determined after I visited Allahabad(now pryagraj - on my list again to visit) - triveni sangam. We stayed at a Kannada speaking purohit's place to carry out the rituals which people usually do in Kashi. One of the helpers there took us to Ganga ghat to take bath. Since I'd decided earlier not take bath there, I din't carry change clothes. It was ten minutes walk and we reached ghat. Place looked clean and our guide had already instructed us not to use soaps. I touched water for first time and felt like taking a dip...water was clean so was the place...my liking from taking dip, grew to taking bath. I walked back to get my clothes. Touch of that water was different, magical, full of energy..It puzzled me if I was just carried away by my fellow travelers' views or it was what really I felt...Finally, I'd to trust what govt claimed about 'Namami Gange'! and my father's comment that - 'see our Modi has cleaned it up so that you can take a dip' ;-) After that we went to Haridwar and that was the first time I felt Ganga as a river; flowing...I just kept seeing her..vast river? deep water? majesty? such powerful force in motion? life line of millions? a shakti taking everything in her stride yet flowing ahead? Dignity, Elegance, Agility - personified? 'Ganga ma'...just stood there looking at her with tears...uncontrollable tears ...don't know how long I cried...I just couldn't stop..my hands shivering..could neither speak nor smile or talk..Evening Ganga aarti dint amaze me much, I understood how people there felt...even now while typing this, I am trying to control my tears...she followed us throughout our trip..she is just flowing in front of my eyes...touching lives - millions, trillions..."Ganga ma 🙏"
Very touching! Well written Vensi.👍👍. I could visualize myself with you.
ReplyDelete